TravaCor by NeuroScience provides support for the calming neurotransmitter system utilizing a unique combination of amino acids and vitamin and mineral cofactors. It contains the amino acid L-theanine‚ which has been widely studied for its ability to produce a calming effect and prevent over-stimulation. 5-HTP is included to support the production of serotonin‚ which is the precursor to melatonin. This formula also includes taurine‚ which promotes GABA receptor activity.
Taurine: Neuroprotective amino acid that provides antioxidant protection and demonstrates GABA-A agonist activity (1-3).* GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain important for calm and sleep (4-6).
L-theanine: Amino acid that acts as a glutamate receptor antagonist (7)*. In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, L-theanine was shown to significantly reduce stress (8)*.
5-HTP (from Griffonia simplicifolia seed extract): 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) crosses the blood-brain barrier and is a precursor to serotonin and melatonin (9).* Serotonin is important for regulating mood and sleep-wake function (10). In a randomized, double-blind study, 5-HTP was shown to significantly improve mood (11).*
Vitamins B and C: Active forms of vitamin B6, folate, B12, and C are important for serotonin synthesis (12-16).*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
1. Kumari N, et al. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;775:19-27.
2. Shimada K, et al. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;803:581-96.
3. Kletke O, et al. PLoS One. 2013;8(4):e61733.
4. Gou Z, et al. Dongwuxue Yanjiu. 2012;33(E5-6):E75-81.
5. Mohler H. Neuropharmacology. 2012;62(1):42-53.
6. Saper C, et al. Nature. 2005;437(7063):1257-63.
7. Kakuda T, et al. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2002;66(12):2683-2686.
8. Kimura K, et al. Biol Psychol. 2007; 74(1):39-45.
9. Shaw K, et al. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(1):CD003198.
10. Monti J. Sleep Med Rev. 2011;15(4):269-81.
11. Jangid P, et al. Asian J Psychiatr. 2013;6(1):29-34.
12. Dakshinamurti K, et al. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1990;585:128-44.
13. Bottiglieri T. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2013;36(1):1-13.
14. Stahl S. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008;69(9):1352-3.
15. Antoniades C, et al. Circulation. 2006;114(11):1193-201.
16. May J, et al. Brain Res Bull. 2013;90:35-42.